The World Does Not Exists The Way It Appears
The World Does Not Exist The Way It Appears.
We are accustomed to perceive the World as an independent entity. We never question our perception and understanding of the World. Thus, we treat the World and everything on it as something outside of ourselves. We are convinced that we have our own-being and the World and everything on has a different being. Just because it appears that way we never question the validity of our senses. Our parents never told us to question this, our schools and religions did not teach us otherwise. It seems there is no reason to doubt our perceptions. It appears to us that it has always been this way, why should it be any different today?. It seems that everyone agrees, but that assumption is very inaccurate. In fact, there is a large number of people who are questioning their perceptions and are discovering that their perceptions of themselves and of the World are opposite to how we and the World exists.
Let me elaborate. We all have a sense of self that seems and feels to be right here, completely separate from the World which seems and feels to be out there. This is what our senses are telling us. We all share this experience, but if that were true then I would have to be existing as my own-being. Meaning I would have to be a single entity capable of establishing myself by my own independent nature. The World would have to exist as their own-being too. To have own-being means to exist as a single entity that is partless and causeless that can set itself up. Is this how the World and I exist?
With a simple analytical analysis, it is quickly discovered that I do not exist as a singular entity that is partless and causeless, and nothing in the World exists that way too. Everything that exists from a Galaxy, the Earth, me, thoughts, time, atoms and abstract images exist precisely the same way, without own-being. Nothing is a single entity as all is made up of parts, and all of them are caused and conditioned from moment to moment. The only difference between the World and me is in the name: me and World. The conceptual designation (the names) given to various forms is the only difference between the World and me. For example, when my consciousness/mind perceives a collection of ever-changing parts that I named torso, legs, hands and heard, I gave that combination of shapes the name me. When I perceive the collections of ever-changing parts, I named them the World. Other than the names me and the World given to various collections of parts that exist without own-being, there is absolutely no two separate entities that have their own-being. Therefore, The World and me are one and the same ever-changing being, and exist conventionally as me and the World in names only.
If you like to read in more detail why no one , and no thing can exist having own-being please read furhter.
This is an order in which all things happened to each one of us:
1. First, there has to be an appearance before we can choose a name / label for that appearance. It would not make sense to create a name or label before seeing anything. For example: in a deep sleep where there are no appearances at all, we don’t create any designations or labels during that time. It’s logical to give names to appearances after they appear to our conscious mind. So, names or labels came after appearances. This is how things happen, and this is why we give names to them. The names that we choose are social conventions. We learn names as social conventions from our parents and in schools. We are entering a social agreement everyone in a given society agrees to. For example, when a specific appearance of a round, red, edible appearance takes place, our society agrees that this particular appearance should be named an apple. So, apple in the mere name given to this specific appearance. Thus, the appearance is not an apple untill we gave the name apple to it. So, an apple exists in name only, but not as own-thing. The second example, conventionally we agreed that when there is an appearance of something that seems transparent, falling from clouds, that can be drunk, and feels wet, we will name “rain”. Therefore, rain is a name/label that we all agreed to give onto this particular appearance. This is the conventional truth have we all agreed to. The drawback to our conventional view is that we automatically believe that the appearance and the name rain are the same and this is the ultimate reality of it. In fact, that is how we now see it. We perceive a real rain drop, as if the rain drop existed as its own-thing, by its own nature that we assume must be different from mine. We give a name first and next we assume each phenomenon or appearance exists by its own singular own-thing, with independent, built-in, individual, permanent core nature that sets it up. This is the extent of teaching we receive at home and schools, through the highest form of education we acquire. Our education is a superficial understanding of phenomena/appearances. Conventional truth is satisfied with mere “looks” of things, giving them names to them, nothing more.
2. Where did the names, or labels come from? They came from the mind. We first learn names, words, and labels at home. Then we go to kindergarten and elementary schools where we learn more labels. We are shown pictures of appearances/phenomena and then a name is assigned to that appearance, that name is for us to remember. However, notice that nowhere in our education are we asked to understand or examine how the appearances or phenomena exist as if our names, words, or labels have anything to do with it all. Obviously, if phenomena appear to our mind’s consciousness and we give names to that appearance (via social convention) the appearance or phenomena is NOT the same as our name or label. To refer to our first example of rain.
The phenomena/appearance of the clear, wet, drinkable substance that occasionally falls from clouds is NOT rain, because rain is just a name given to this particular appearance/phenomena by our mind.
This question should arise in our minds: If this appearance, this phenomenon is not a raindrop, what is it and how does it exist? No one is asking this important question.
It becomes clear that there must be more to this, there must be an ultimate truth to the phenomena we named raindrop. Why should we all know it? You will be able to answer this question on your own as soon as we discover how all phenomena exist beyond the social convention. At the level beyond the conventional truth, all appearances or phenomena exist completely opposite to what we learned so far.
How do they exist?
Let’s take the phenomena/appearance that we gave the name/label/ rain to, in order to understand how appearance named rain exist:
Let’s take a drop of rain to understand rain’s ultimate nature.
1. Is rain its’ own-thing? Does rain have its own individual nature that is capable of setting it up? If it was, we should be able to locate a single entity raindrop that produced itself. Let’s call that the real raindrop, Here we go: Is the rain drop a single entity? Is the right side of the appearance a single raindrop? No, that is a right side of a raindrop. Is the left side of the phenomena a single raindrop. No, the left side is not a single raindrop. So, where is the single entity raindrop? Well, there is no such singular entity as one raindrop. So, how does the rain drop exist? The raindrop exists in dependence on at least two halves and the name raindrop from the consciousness/mind. The phenomena we name raindrop exists because there were at least two parts (right and left) that our society agreed to give the name raindrop to these parts. The phenomena we named raindrop exists without own-being because a raindrop is nat a single entity. Furthermore what we named raindrop was not established by own nature because these parts were caused. They were caused by infinite number of causes such as water evaporation from various rivers, oceans forests that created a cloud. Then the cloud under specific pressure and so on released what we named raindrop from the sky. Thus, the appearance we named raindrop exists because of the parts and causes that co-produced them, and the consciousness/mind that gave name to the whole collection of parts.
We can continue the analytical analysis further to discover if any of the parts what we named raindrop is made of is a single entity (having own-being). Is the left side the single entity? Is the top or the bottom the real single entity? Is the top of the right side the real entity? Is the other right side of the first right side the real single entity? Is the inside the single entity, or it is the outside the single entity? Are the atom particles of H20 the single entity? Are the two hydrogen atoms the real the single entity? Is the single oxygen atom the real entity? Is the right side of the hydrogen atom the single entity? Is the right side of an electron the single entity? Is the bottom of protons the single entity? Is the left side of the nucleus the single entity? Maybe the smallest part named by our mind Quark of an oxygen atom is the single entity? No, not even the smallest of parts like Quark of any atom is not a singular entity because it is dependent on the left and right side, top and bottom sides. Even the top of a Quark is dependent on the additional left and right side, another top and another bottom, and that dependency goes on forever. When with the help of some newer, more powerful microscope we’ll perceive even smaller particles of a Quark, they too will not have their own-being because they too will have to be dependent on a left and right side, top and bottom sides and each one of them is dependent on additional left and right side, another top and another bottom, and that dependency goes on forever. Nothing can exist as a singular entity without parts that are dependent on more parts, which are dependent on even more parts into infinity. Nothing has its own-being because everything is dependent on countless parts that too are without own-being. Therefore, a raindrop exists without own-being, therefore a raindrop and its parts are without independent self.
2. Another fascinating fact about all phenomena or appearances is that all of them exist because of another phenomenon, which too existed because of other phenomena. Like in the previous point, that dependency on other phenomena goes on forever into infinity. In the case of our raindrop, there first had to be phenomena named cloud. A cloud is formed as a result of saturation of the air when it is cooled to its dew point or when it gains sufficient moisture. The phenomena named moisture is dependent on phenomena named rivers, and oceans. Rivers are dependent on the phenomena named mountains, where a phenomenon named snow accumulates. Therefore, there are no such singular, independent phenomena existing in and of itself because all phenomena/appearance is a result of other phenomena, which was a result of other phenomena, which… as you can see this goes on forever without any individuality, without any individual build-in separate nature.
No labeled phenomena/appearance can exist without labeled other phenomena that are dependent on countless other selfless named/labeled parts. These exist because of another selfless merely labeled phenomena, and once again this goes on forever into infinity. No phenomena have its own individual self because everything is dependent on countless also selfless phenomena. Therefore raindrop is without its own individual, independent self. A raindrop is selfless.
3. Another fact is that all merely labeled phenomena/appearance, which exist without own-being because they are all dependent on parts and labels from our mind are constantly conditioned and changing by other causes. For example, a raindrop when exposed to change in temperature will change to snow or icecube If a raindrop falls on a hot surface, the raindrop will change to vapor and rise upwards. Every phenomenon is not a fixed “thing” but an ever-changing event, without a beginning and without an end.
4. Finally, the most important point is that merely labeled phenomena do not gain any individuality, own-being by being labeled by our mind. For the convince sake we name various forms of nature me, you, house, tree, ocean, but still they do not have own-being. All phenomena exist as one-and the same being. They appear to exist as independent of our mind because of our ignorance that believes in our own labeling. Names or labels come from our mind and are not the same as the phenomena/appearance. If we see a real raindrop we are hallucinating, because raindrop does not have a different being from ours. This is the most important fact to recognize.
Why is this important, why should we understand the ultimate nature of all phenomena, beyond the appearance and labeling?
To put an end to world problems we need to recognize that even though all phenomena appear to have different being then ours, in reality they don’t . All living beings and things share one and the same being. There are no two beings, but one seamless vast being.